Friday, August 12, 2011

A little help?

I need the help of all you rose experts for a couple of items. First, I have two identifications for you. 1) There is a rose planted at my mothers home which was given to her some years ago, without a name. It is a remontant type, blooming even as we speak, with  clusters of small blooms in the slightly double form with exposed centers, ranging in color from a medium pink at bud to a barely there pink at full bloom. The shrub itself is upright, probably around 6' tall (in zone9a North Florida) with a spread of around 3-4'. Fairly twiggy growth, but it is in partial shade, so I not sure if that is how it would normally grow. No discernable scent, but my nose is a bit wonky.
2) Is not a rose, but a shrub that I saw recently in sarasota and would like to use in my yard as a hedge.

Finally, I need advice on what may be wrong with a rose in my yard. It is a modern rose, Floribunda Our Lady of Guadalupe. In the last week, it has gone from glossy dark green foliage to entirely yellow and defoliating. It was planted last spring and had been doing so well in the garden. All the roses around it seem to be just fine, no sign of any problems. I am baffled.




Mystery Rose.....







Mystery Shrub in Sarasota




Poor Our Lady of Guadalupe.


Notice the Autumn Damask (own root vs the grafted Our Lady) is doing just fine.




Any help you could offer would be of great assistance.


UPDATE:

OLOG has left the building, and as my post on GW can attest, I am still baffled as to the sudden failure, especially since the roots seem to be okay.  http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0813413931122.html?13








No comments:

Post a Comment